Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tai-Juan

Holy hell.  It has been a while, no?  So much has changed, and it is all changing so quickly at this very moment.  But, let's cut to the chase.  My flight leaves for Tokyo in a little over six hours.  It is a 14 hour flight, and then I have an hour to catch my next flight to Taipei.  From there, I will hopefully be successful in navigating the Taipei airport and getting myself and all my luggage on a bus.  I have never been on a flight longer than maybe 6 hours, never experienced jet lag, never left North America... the list goes on.

I keep getting asked the same question: Why?  Why are you going?  Why do you want to go?  Why Taiwan? 

Honestly, I do not have an answer...  Well, I can answer "Why Taiwan?"  I chose Taiwan because I have friends there and have a job lined up that should allow me to pay off a substantial part of my debt, while hopefully also saving up enough money to sufficiently explore that corner of the globe.

But still, why am I going?  I do not know.  Maybe I am looking for something?  But I do not know what I'm looking for, and maybe it will become more clear once I get there.  All I know is I was offered an incredible opportunity in Moab, and I turned it down for this.  Something in my gut just felt like this was right, and I still don't know why.  I think a lot of it has to do with the anxiety of wanting to see as much of the world as possible.  I felt that if I did not go abroad now, I would be stuck in the US forever.  It is time, for whatever reason, and I plan to make the most of it.

I definitely want to start writing more, as I used to, and hope to have plenty of pictures to share as a result of getting a new camera.  I will be updating my couchsurfing profile as soon as I figure out where I'm living, and hope to see you over there, as well as lots of new faces!

Take care of yourself, and be sure to come visit!

No comments: